Saturday, January 24, 2009

My... Sausage rolls?

Thought I would try something different for dinner last week - I had some mince, some veges, and I found some puff pastry in the freezer. So I made some 'sausage rolls' - they were very yummy.

We are very fussy eaters - don't like herbs/spices/hot things etc - so if you make these, you might want to add garlic/herbs etc. We also won't be having these very often, as the puff pastry has quite a bit of fat in it - darn it!

So I just chopped up some onion, celery, carrot, beans, potatoes - in fairly small pieces, and also got out some frozen peas and corn.

Photobucket

Put a small amount of oil in a pan, cook the onions a little, then add some mince and cook through. Then throw in all of your veges - mix through.

Photobucket

Add some salt, pepper, tomato sauce. I think I made up about 2 cups of traditional gravy, and just crumbled a beef stock cube into that. I think I then had to add more water as the veges cooked. Cook until veges are tender - because I chopped the potatoes so small, I think they were ready after about 15 minutes.

Photobucket

Once cooked, I let the mix cool right down so it didn't make the pastry soggy.

Photobucket

Get your puff pastry sheets out to thaw about 5 minutes before you need them. I just tried all sorts of shapes - triangles, small parcels, medium sized roll, large roll etc. Place them on a tray, brush with milk, and put in a hot oven (200deg fan forced) until golden.

Photobucket

Ok, so I am not very good with quantities LOL With my recipes, I usually just throw this and that in - bit of this - a spash of that. With this, you can basically make up any sort of mince and or vege mix, roll it in puff - yummo!

No comments: